How to Change a Flat Tire: The Right Tools and the Right Method
How to change a flat tire – it’s knowledge all drivers should have, and yet it’s a skill frequently spurned. That’s okay. Let’s go ahead and learn about:
- The Right Gear
- The Right Method
The Right Gear
Firstly, have these items in your car:
- Lug Wrench
- Fully Inflated Spare Tire
- Owner’s Manual
Misplaced them? Never issued them in the first place? Pick up new ones, making sure the spare is regularly inflated to your manufacturer’s recommended PSI.
You’ll also want the following on-hand:
- Rain Poncho
- 2″x6” Wood to Secure the Jack
- Wheel Wedges
The Right Method
Okay, now onto the good stuff:
- Bring your vehicle to a safe location. Slow down and pick out a level, straight stretch of road with a wide shoulder.
- Turn on your hazard lights before getting out.
- Apply the parking brake, even on level ground, to prevent rolling.
- Apply the wheel wedges. They go in front of the front tires when you’re changing a rear tire or behind the rear tires when you’re changing at the front.
- Place the jack beneath the frame. Look for a section of exposed metal, and follow the instructions in your owner’s manual.
- Place a small cut of 2×6” wood beneath the jack to prevent it settling, then start to lift. Remember never to place any part of your body under the vehicle.
- Unscrew the lug nuts – once loose, it’s easy to unscrew them by hand.
- Remove the flat by gripping the treads and pulling gently toward you. Set it on its side to prevent rolling.
- Mount the spare on the lug nuts, then tighten them by hand until they are all on.
- Lower the vehicle slightly and tighten the lug nuts with a wrench
- Bring the vehicle to the ground.
- Replace the hubcap. It may not fit – if so, stow it with your flat.
- Check the pressure of the spare to make sure it’s safe to drive on.
- Drive to a service center. Remember, spares are meant to be temporary and shouldn’t be driven at high speeds.
Need Any Further Advice? Simply Contact Rusty Wallace Toyota
Whether talking to our finance department or visitingour service department we’re always here to help. Don’t hesitate to contact us today if you’d like to find out more, or come into our dealership in Morristown today!
Apply for Financing Forget everything you’ve ever heard about leasing a vehicle. With all the benefits of leasing a car, there’s no reason not to do it! So, if you’re wondering, “why should I lease a car?” you’re about to find out. Benefits of Leasing vs. Buying a Car Leasing offers significant financial advantages, starting…
The Mill & Mine Contact Us If you’re looking for live music in Knoxville, get ready for a music scene that’s rich with options, from country and rock, to bluegrass and classical. Live music venues in Knoxville include bars, pubs, historic theaters, and even the streets, and they’re easy to get to from Morristown and…
Contact Us What is Toyota Safety Sense? This bundle of active safety features is just one reason why Toyota safety ratings are so outstanding. It’s standard on many new Toyota vehicles, like the Sienna, so you don’t have to pay extra to protect your family. What’s Included Pre-Collision System – A combination camera and laser…
We are currently updating our Service Specials. Please check back soon.Service Specials:
We are currently updating our Service Specials. Please check back soon.